Staying BBQ safe this summer!

bbq safe

    With the heatwave continuing, it is a perfect opportunity to get out the BBQ and invite friends and family over to enjoy it. However, as great, and tasty BBQs are, they can also be dangerous if not used with caution.

    To avoid injuries or damage to property, Cheshire Fire & Rescue Service recommend following these simple precautions:

    1. Barbecue fire safety tips:

    Never leave a barbecue unattended

    Ensure the barbecue is on a flat surface, well away from a shed, trees, or shrubs

    Keep children, garden games and pets away from the cooking area

    Keep a bucket of water / sand nearby for emergencies

    Ensure the barbecue is cool before attempting to move it

    1. Be carbon monoxide aware:

    Never use fuel-burning devices (e.g., disposable barbecues, camping stoves, camping heaters, lanterns etc) inside a tent. Using these indoors can cause Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning. They give off fumes for hours after you have used them – levels high enough to result in CO poisoning.

    To avoid hazardous CO exposures, fuel-burning equipment should never be used inside a tent, camper, or any other enclosed shelter. Fuel burning equipment includes camping stoves, heaters, lanterns etc.  Opening tent flaps, doors or windows is insufficient to prevent build-up of CO concentrations from these devices. When using these fuel-burning devices outdoors, the exhaust should not vent into enclosed shelters.

    The biggest danger is the use of flammable liquids to light the barbecue, which is extremely dangerous. Cheshire Fire & Rescue have reported a couple of occasions where people have poured petrol onto the charcoal in an effect to get the BBQ going and the reaction has been both violent and dangerous. It is recommended to prepare well in advance and light the charcoal early. You want to enjoy the BBQ, not for it to end in disaster!

    The Firechief range includes high-performance fire extinguishers, fire blankets, first aid kits, lithium-ion fire extinguishers for your home and leisure time.  For more information, call us on +44 (0)330 999 0019 or email

    The information contained within this blog is provided solely for general informational and educational purposes and is not intended as a substitute for professional advice. Before taking any actions based upon this information, we advise the reader to consult any and all relevant statutory or regulatory guidance and where felt necessary to consult a qualified fire or industry regulation professional. The use or reliance on any information contained herein is solely at the reader’s risk.

    Posted in