The Fitzalan is a high-end student accommodation building located right in the heart of Cardiff city. As well as a variety of modern bedroom accommodation ranging from studios to two-bedroom apartments, the communal spaces include a cinema room, game rooms, luxury ‘snugs,’ an on-site gym, a common room, and a communal kitchen.
The accommodation was created back in 2017 when a series of one and two-storey vertical extensions were added to existing buildings to increase the side of the accommodation to a total of 357 beds.
The fire safety need
The Fitzalan’s owners wanted a full upgrade of all electrical installations and fire safety measures. As all accommodation includes a fully kitted out kitchen with a combi microwave and hob, fire prevention in these areas was considered of particular importance.
The building’s owners specified that the Firechief Kitchen Stove Guard be fitted as standard in all 313 apartments and studios in addition to the existing fire suppression system, bringing a number of benefits to the Fitzalan student accommodation:
- Intelligent fire safety technology which prevents fires long before they can start. The heat sensor activates the cooker switch when pre-fire conditions are detected instead of reacting to extinguish a fire once it has actually begun
- Easy and simple installation. This was undertaken by the electrical contractors already working on site, some with students already living in the apartments, and others fitted in empty apartments before the student’s arrival. All students were fully aware of the Firechief Kitchen Stove Guard and how it works.
- Continuous 24/7 protection for peace of mind. The device monitors and adapts to the occupiers cooking style
- Automatic fault diagnosis constantly analyses the Kitchen Stove Guard’s function when the hob is in use – no monthly testing is required
- Sleek sensor design, sympathetic to the modern décor of the apartment kitchens
- Lower cost – less than half the cost of a fire suppression system
- No annual maintenance required
- Fulfils the requirements of Stove Guard Standard EN 50615
- 2-year warranty
How it works
The Firechief Stove Guard is a device that works out when the temperature of cooking is too high (and therefore potentially hazardous) and turns off the source of ignition, effectively preventing kitchen fires before they start. This creates a safer home for the tenants of apartments and shared accommodation.
The Firechief Kitchen Stove Guard is a smart way to guard against kitchen fires because it responds before the formation of toxic gases and before a fire is ignited. It will even cut off the electricity supply if the hob has been left on accidentally – the setting for this can be tailored to individual installations. The cooker is reactivated simply by resetting the system once the cause of the alert has been investigated and controlled. The device is designed to work with all electric hobs.
The Firechief range includes high-performance fire extinguishers, fire blankets, first aid kits, lithium-ion fire extinguishers for your home and leisure time. For more information, call us on +44 (0)330 999 0019 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The information contained within this blog is provided solely for general informational and educational purposes and is not intended as a substitute for professional advice. Before taking any actions based upon this information, we advise the reader to consult any and all relevant statutory or regulatory guidance and where felt necessary to consult a qualified fire or industry regulation professional. The use or reliance on any information contained herein is solely at the reader’s risk.