Every business is different but there are some key pieces of fire safety equipment that every organisation needs whether they are in an office environment, a warehouse or a factory.
Every workspace needs at least one fire extinguisher. The number and different types of extinguishers required will depend on the size of your premises and also the kind of fire risks related to your office, factory or warehouse but you will certainly need one or more of the following:
• Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Extinguisher: Ideal for all electrical risks and where oils and spirits etc are in use as it is harmless to delicate equipment and materials.
• Foam Fire Extinguisher: A good solution for multi-risk usage.
• Wet Chemical Extinguisher: Will cool burning oils and reduce re-ignition of the flames.
• Water Fire Extinguisher: A well performing, multiple purpose extinguisher.
• Water Additive Fire Extinguisher: Contains a powerful 'EcoSpray' additive and works well where manual handling restrictions apply.
• Powder Fire Extinguisher: Can tackle most fires which involve wood, paper, flammable liquids and electrics. Powder Fire extinguishers can also be used on vehicle fires and can be stored in cars or commercial vehicles.
Fire Alarm Systems
Fire alarms are essential for every building in a business and should be tested weekly. We have a wide range of fire alarm systems, both battery and mains power operated. Visual alarms are also extremely useful for warehouses and factories as they offer a dual warning with the use of red LED technology as well as an audible alarm to draw the attention of all employees in its range.
Fire Exit Signs
Fire exit signs are essential for all businesses to guide users to the correct exit. Fire Depot supply emergency exit boxes and exit hanging signs which use long life LEDs for maximum durability in the case of a fire.
During a fire, there is an increased risk of the main power supply cutting out which means emergency lighting is necessary for employees and customers to exit safely. The Emergency lights provided by Fire Depot will operate in emergency mode for up to 3 hours. Read our Emergency Lighting blog for more information on this important subject.
No kitchen area is complete without a fire blanket to smother flames should the need arise. Available in a range of sizes and in either a hard or soft case, the blanket is accessed simply by pulling on the Velcro strips.
Fire Safety Logbooks and document storage cabinets
It is essential to keep all fire documents that a fire officer would need, such as Fire Safety Logbooks containing fire equipment maintenance records and plans relating to the building, in a safe place such as a lockable fire safety document storage cabinet. Our full range can be viewed here
First Aid Kit
Accidents of all kinds occur, and having a First Aid Kit with all its contents intact is essential. Over the years, various bits and pieces may have been used but not replaced. However, not only are you responsible for supplying a first aid kit, but you are also accountable for replacing expired or used products within the kit, so take this opportunity to have a look and see what is missing to ensure that your business is prepared for any accident.
Life is precious and property and assets matter, so at Fire Depot we make it our mission to provide quality, approved fire protection equipment and to share fire safety advice and fire equipment recommendations. Visit www.firedepot.co.uk for more fire safety product information or call us on 0330 999 2233 to speak to our friendly team of experts.