Summer is almost here, which means it is boating season! Fire safety on the water should always be a priority whether you are heading out for a bit of fishing or just time on the lake or sea.
Boat fires are more common than you might think with common causes including equipment failures and fuel leaks. It is important you have the correct fire suppression equipment on board to prevent or extinguish boat fires, so Cheshire Fire & Rescue Service have released the following tips:
- Make sure you know your boat and have a fire action plan which everyone on board knows
- Fit a smoke alarm that meets British Standard BS5446 Part 1 and carries a Kitemark approval
- Never leave a burning candle unattended
- Never leave a hot hob unattended especially when cooking with oil or fat
- Keep cooking area clean for safety – a build-up of grease could catch light
- Don’t fit curtains or fabrics near to or hanging over hot burners
- Don’t dry tea towels or clothes over a cooker/hob
- Dispose of cigarettes carefully or better still have a no smoking on board policy.
What to do if there’s a fire:
- Do not enter a smoke-filled space
- If you are already in a smoke-filled space, keep low down where the air is clearer
- If you need to break glass, use a blanket to prevent injury
- Starve the fire of air, do not open engine hatches or doors unless you have to
Fire Extinguishers & Blankets
Familiarise yourself with how to use an extinguisher on board, reading instructions before use.
- Only tackle a fire with an extinguisher if you are confident how to use it. If in doubt, evacuate the boat
- Keep fire blankets and extinguishers within easy reach, close to exits and risk points, such as the galley and engine area
- Check extinguishers on a regular basis for serious dents, leaks, and loss of pressure
- Check the pin and firing mechanism for any signs of problems or weaknesses
- Only choose extinguishers that carry recognised approval marks such as: LPCB, British Standard Kitemark
The Firechief range includes high performance fire extinguishers, fire blankets, first aid kits, lithium-ion fire extinguishers for your home and leisure time.
For more information, call us on +44 (0)330 999 0019 or email email@example.com.