Now all the Christmas presents have been unwrapped, are there hidden fire related dangers lurking in your children’s bedrooms?
It’s no secret that children today are growing up with far more gadgets than their parents did. But many tech-savvy kids are unknowingly leaving themselves open to serious dangers, and parents need to be aware of the risks.
If your child or teenager leaves their phone, tablet or laptop charging on their bed, uses a cheap unbranded charger or sleeps with their phone under their pillow, their lives (and yours) could be at risk.
When a device, such as a phone or a tablet, is left surrounded by bedding or under a pillow, there is nowhere for the generated heat to dissipate and it will to become hotter and hotter. The heat caused by the device, combined with flammable materials, has the potential to cause fire and put property or even lives in danger. Even if the device is manufactured to the correct safety standards, it can still become very dangerous, very quickly, if not charged on a table or similar appropriate environment.
Dos and Don’ts for charging safely in children & teenagers’ bedrooms:
DO make sure laptops, phones, tablets and any other electrical devices are charged on a hard surface such as a desk or table
DO make sure children understand how to use electricity and electric appliances responsibly and safely.
DO make sure that children keep their rooms tidy and dust free, clothes left on electrical devices such as games consoles can cause vents to be blocked and the device to overheat and catch fire.
DO get everyone in your family into the habit of switching off electric games, computers, TVs and other electric appliances before you go to bed.
DO check plugs, sockets and cables regularly for signs of damage or scorching.
DON’T use or let children use fake or unbranded chargers. Many of these chargers do not satisfy UK safety regulations and can cause serious electric shock, injury or fire.
DON’T overload electric plug sockets. If you’re not sure if your socket is overloaded, you can check on our calculator.
DON’T charge phones, tablets or any electrical device on your bed, under a pillow or anywhere the device might overheat. Avoid charging devices unattended or overnight.
DON’T put drinks or other liquids on or near electric appliances. After bathing or showering children should be fully dry before using an electrical device. Water and electricity are a lethal combination.
Here at Firechief, we want you to feel safe. Our mission is to work hard every day to protect lives and property from fire by providing a range of fire safety products and checklists that can be trusted to perform when the heat is on.
The Firechief range includes high-performance fire extinguishers, fire blankets, first aid kits and lithium-ion battery fire extinguishers.
For more information, call us on +44 (0)330 999 0019 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.